Led by GRSF company members, this intensive workshop for students grades 7 – 12 introduces young actors to the principles of acting Shakespeare.
SYA students will focus on:
- Basic principles of acting and acting technique.
- Applying principles of scansion, meter, and text analysis to Shakespeare’s plays.
- Movement and creative improvisation exercises.
All SYA students also:
- Work with members of the GRSF professional company and get a behind-the-scenes look at what it takes to create a professional Shakespeare production.
- Attend GRSF’s 2014 summer season productions and other festival events.
- At the end of the workshop, participants will receive a certificate indicating their successful completion of the GRSF Shakespeare for Young Actors training program.
Shakespeare for Young Actors
Held Tuesday through Saturday from 10AM-4PM July 8th-July 26th, the program culminates in a public performance of a Shakespeare play at 7:00 PM on Sunday, July 27th. The tuition for the program is $425. Scholarships for students would who would otherwise not be able to attend the program may be available. Please inquire at email@example.com to apply for financial assistance.
With differentiated instruction for students with any background and previous experience with Shakespeare and theatre, SYA is perfect for all students entering grades 7-12. All that is required is a desire to learn about Shakespeare’s text!
To be considered for acceptance into the program, students should complete an online application below or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is June 15th, 2014. Space is limited, so early application is recommended.
- Classes at the Winona State University’s Performing Arts Center.
- Program fees include tickets to the three main stage productions, The Merry Wives of Windsor, Hamlet and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, as well as other GRSF events.
- Students will provide their own lunch; refrigeration is available.
- Housing is not provided, but arrangements with a host family may be available. Please inquire at email@example.com with questions or requests.
- Parents must provide transportation to and from the program.
- Classes are led by GRSF actor Tarah Flanagan and other members of the GRSF professional company.