Shakespeare for Young Actors has concluded for 2013. Please check back for information about next season in January 2014.
Led by GRSF company members, this intensive workshop for students grades 7 – 12 introduces young actors to the principles of acting Shakespeare.
SYA students will focus on:
- Basic principles of acting and acting technique.
- Applying principles of scansion, meter, and text analysis to Shakespeare’s plays.
- Movement and creative improvisation exercises.
All SYA students also:
- Work with members of the GRSF professional company and get a behind-the-scenes look at what it takes to create a professional Shakespeare production.
- Attend GRSF’s 2013 summer season productions and other festival events.
- At the end of the workshop, participants will receive a certificate indicating their successful completion of the GRSF Shakespeare for Young Actors training program.
Shakespeare for Young Actors II
This workshop is for advanced students who are entering grades 10-12. Held daily from 10AM-4PM July 11-August 2nd, the program culminates in a public performance of a Shakespeare play at 1 PM on Friday, August 2nd. The tuition for the program is $425, with scholarships available.
Geared toward students who have previously participated in a GRSF SYA program, or those who have equivalent acting experience, this workshop will apply the skills of text analysis to adapt, produce, and perform a production of a Shakespeare play.
To be considered for acceptance into the program, students should complete an online application below, call GRSF office at (507) 474-7900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration for 2013 is now closed. Please check back in February for application information for the 2014 season. Space is limited, so early application is recommended.
- Classes at the Winona State University’s Performing Arts Center.
- Program fees include tickets to the two main stage productions, Twelfth Night and King Henry V, and other GRSF events.
- Students will provide their own lunch; refrigeration is available.
- Housing is not provided, but might be available for older students at WSU. We are also working on options for host families in Winona. Please inquire.
- Parents must provide transportation to and from the program.
- Classes are led by GRSF actor Tarah Flanagan and other members of the GRSF professional company.
Due to a change in enrollment, the SYA I performance previously scheduled for Wednesday, July 17 at 7:00pm will no longer take place. The Shakespeare for Young Designers showcase will take place that evening at 7:00pm in the Performing Arts Center Lobby. The SYA 2 performance will take place as scheduled at 1:00pm on Friday, August 2nd, in the Performing Arts Center theatre. If you have any questions about this information, please call us at 507.474.7900 or email email@example.com.