Shakespeare for Young Designers offers an opportunity for students entering grades 7-12 to explore scenic and costume design and production strategies in the context of Shakespearean text.
This program incorporates elements of the professional design process, giving students the opportunity to create their own text-based design. The program culminates with a presentation of students’ designs. New to the program this year will be an opportunity to design and construct costume and properties elements for the Shakespeare for Young Actors production, which will perform the same evening as the Design showcase.
Over the course of this intensive workshop, students will experience the following:
- Three GRSF mainstage productions;
- Classes in Shakespearean text analysis for designers with GRSF actors and production staff;
- Learning from GRSF professional theatre designers and technicians in areas of scenery, costumes, and properties;
- A behind-the-scenes look at what it takes to create a professional Shakespeare production;
- Backstage tour of the GRSF mainstage on WSU’s campus;
- Creation and construction of their own design based on one of Shakespeare’s plays.
No prior experience with Shakespeare is necessary. Prior theatre experience is welcome but not required.
Program fees include:
- Tickets to the three GRSF mainstage productions, as well as other GRSF events.
- Small-group and individual instruction by theatre design/tech professionals.
- Materials to complete design projects.
The program will take place from 10:00am – 4:00pm Tuesdays through Saturdays, July 8th – July 26th, 2014 at Winona State University. The students will showcase their work on Sunday, July 27th at 6:00pm in the Performing Arts Center lobby, preceding the Shakespeare for Young Actors production. Students will have an hour lunch break, and should provide their own lunch (a refrigerator is available). Housing is not provided, but host families in Winona may be available; please inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuition for this program is $300. Scholarships may be available; please inquire at email@example.com.