Shakespeare for Young Designers has concluded for 2013. Please check back for information about next season in January 2014.
New to GRSF educational programming this season, the Shakespeare Design Challenge is a chance for students grades 7-12 to explore scenic and costume design and production strategies in the context of Shakespearean text.
This program incorporates elements of the professional design process, giving students the opportunity to create their own text-based design. The program culminates with a presentation of students’ designs.
Over the course of this intensive workshop, students will experience the following:
- Two GRSF mainstage productions;
- Classes in Shakespearean text analysis for designers with GRSF actors and production staff;
- Learning from GRSF professional theatre designers and technicians in areas of scenery, costumes, and properties;
- A behind-the-scenes look at what it takes to create a professional Shakespeare production;
- Backstage tour of the GRSF mainstage on WSU’s campus;
- Creation and construction of their own design based on one of Shakespeare’s plays.
No prior experience with Shakespeare is necessary. Prior theatre experience is welcome but not required.
Program fees include:
- Tickets to the two GRSF mainstage productions, as well as other GRSF events.
- Small-group and individual instruction by theatre design/tech professionals.
- Materials to complete design projects.
The program will take place July 8th – July 17th, 2013 at Winona State University’s Performing Arts Center. More specific schedule information will be available in late spring. Students will have an hour lunch break, and should provide their own lunch (a refrigerator is available). Housing is not provided, but host families in Winona may be available; please inquire at email@example.com.
Tuition for this program is $200. Some scholarships are available. Registration is closed for 2013. Please check back in February for application information for the 2014 season.
SYD will have a design showcase on Wednesday, July 17th at 7:00pm in the Performing Arts Center lobby. Please come and support our young designers and view their completed projects. The showcase is free of charge.