GRSF stands with our Asian community members
Great River Shakespeare Festival condemns the abhorrent violence against Asian and Pacific Islander community members. The horrific shootings in Atlanta, Georgia, on Tuesday March 16, showed the intersecting prejudices of racism and misogyny, carried out to a violent end. GRSF recognizes that these murders were part of an increase in anti-Asian and Pacific Islander violence and hate crimes that have been on the uptick over the past year.
Since the pandemic began, Asian people in the United States have been targets of nearly 4,000 reported hate incidents. And the harm inflicted on the Asian community has not stopped since the shooting in Atlanta.
Great River Shakespeare Festival stands in solidarity with the Asian community. We hold space for those affected by these acts of violence, and we hold space for those who are feeling grief, fear, anger and outrage right now.
We encourage all those who can to take action. Below are some suggestions for learning more, taking action, or donating to support those in need.
Please begin by learning the names and stories of the Atlanta murder victims:
- Delaina Ashley Yaun, 33
- Xiaojie Tan, 49
- Daoyou Feng, 44
- Paul Andre Michels, 54
- Elcias R Hernandez-Ortiz, 30
- Hyun Jung Grant, 51
- Soon Chung Park, 74
- Suncha Kim, 69
- Yong Ae Yue, 63
Check in with friends and family in the Asian/AAPI (Asian-American & Pacific Islander) community.
If you see racism, intervene. Just in the last few days several Asian Americans across the country (many of whom are elderly) have been brutally assaulted in front of bystanders who did nothing.
Learn more about the experiences of Asian community members in the United States:
- NYC Mayor’s Toolkit for Addressing Anti-Asian Bias, Discrimination, and Hate: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/cchr/community/stop-asian-hate.page
- Doc-series: Asian Americans PBS:https://www.pbs.org/show/asian-americans/
- Article: “The long, ugly history of anti-Asian racism and violence in the U.S.”https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2021/03/18/history-anti-asian-violence-racism/
- Podcast: ‘Self Evident: Asian America’s Stories’: https://selfevidentshow.com/
- Photo essay: “Keeping Love Close”
Make a donation to support Asian/AAPI communities: