The Friends of Will are volunteers who support the work of the Great River Shakespeare Festival and are ambassadors for GRSF within the greater community. Without our volunteers, Great River Shakespeare Festival could not exist.
Why Become A Friend of Will?
- Become acquainted and involved with the Company’s professional artists, technicians and staff.
- Help GRSF complete tasks and grow as an arts organization
- Experience an unusual degree of pleasure and satisfaction from this unique volunteer opportunity.
The Friends of Will welcome new and returning members. Volunteer opportunities are posted on the blog leading up to and during the GRSF season, and team leaders will reach out to volunteers out for specific events and tasks.
Read the Friends of Will Newsletter/Blog to view photos and learn about future and past FOW activities. Volunteer opportunities will be posted throughout the performance season and at other times as needed.
Front of House Volunteers will work inside the theater and theater lobby. Duties include:
- Ushering, taking tickets, distributing playbills, assisting audience members with seating, assisting the Front of House Manager with any issues.
Please note: Front of House volunteer positions require further registration for specific shifts. This happens through Volunteer Local sign-up, which becomes available in late spring.
The Food Team aids in food preparation for the GRSF Company during certain weeks throughout the season.
- Donate or prepare food for company meals
- Assist with Meal-Set Up and Clean-Up
- Act as Host at company meal times
- Donate money or materials to sponsor a meal
The Hospitality team coordinates menus and hosts. They will contact interested volunteers with specific needs and information.
The Move In/Move Out Crew assists with preparing housing for the GRSF Company as the arrive in Winona for the season.
- Help move apartments supplies (GRSF Company Bins) into and out of summer housing at East Lake Apartments
- May Move In, August Move Out
- Assist with any other moving-related tasks
The Distribution Team is responsible for assisting in promotion of GRSF through printed materials.
- Hang up posters in Winona and other towns and cities in the region
- Distribute seasonal brochures at visitors centers and points of interest
- Keep materials on hand when travelling to share with festival-goers
Team Chariot is comprised of volunteers who aid in transporting GRSF artists to and from Winona.
- Pick Up and Drop Off at regional airports or mass transit stations
- Assist artists in making it to specified locations
- Shifts available in March, May, June, July and August
Team Chariot organizers will match drivers with artists and assign shifts based on availability.
There are many special and one-time volunteer opportunities with GRSF. Here are a few examples:
- Assisting the Costume Shop with sewing projects
- Running Errands for various GRSF Departments
- Putting together GRSF mass mailings at the Admin Office
- Offering early temporary housing to artists prior to the move-in date at East Lake Apartments
- Construction Projects
- And many more exciting chances to share your talents with each passing season!
Friends of Will Steering Committee
The Steering Committee meets regularly throughout the year to prepare for the coming season. Many thanks to these incredible volunteers for their wonderful gifts of time and talents.
Contact: Mary Alice Anderson
Visit the Friends of Will Blog for information about Friends of Will Team Leaders and how you can help GRSF!